What is a background check (request)?
A background request is a request for an individual’s criminal history. The information that creates this history is pulled from various databases. The databases which would be involved depend solely on who the individual or agency are. A request from an individual wanting their own history from us would only entail incidents that occurred within the City’s jurisdiction.
What is the cost of a Background Check?
- $5.00 Criminal History Background per person
- $5.00 Visa Letter, per person
How do I get a copy of a background check?
Background checks may be obtained by telephone, online or in person. To order by telephone, call (352) 393-7565. To order online, click here and fill out the form.
To order in person, go to Gainesville Police Department, located at 413 NW 8th Avenue, Gainesville, Florida 32601. Most records requests will be completed within seventy two hours of receiving the request form. Please call (352) 393-7565 to confirm report is ready for pickup. The Gainesville Police Department will only release information relating to incidents which occur within the city limits of Gainesville only.
Note: The City of Gainesville charges $1.00 for the first 7 pages and (15) cents per additional page. Special service fees will apply when the preparation time for locating requested record, deletion of exempt information, and the copying and refilling of requested exceed 30 minutes. The charge for special service fees will be based on the salary of personnel providing the service. In cases where legal review of a public request is required, the lowest attorney rate, including salary and benefits, will be charged. The information released is based on departmental/public records guidelines per F.S.119.07 (1)b.
How do I obtain Local and Statewide Criminal History Checks?
The Records Section controls the release of information regarding persons who have been arrested by the Gainesville Police Department. There are 3 ways to receive local arrest information:
- You may call the Records Section at (352) 393-7565.
- You may fill out a request form in person at the Police Administration Building (413 NW 8th Avenue, Gainesville, Florida 32601).
- You may submit your request in writing to the Gainesville Police Department Records Section, PO Box 1250, Gainesville, FL 32602
To obtain a statewide criminal history you must contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) at (850) 410-8109, or visit their web site.
Would my record be available once it has been sealed or expunged?
Once a court order has been received to expunge or seal a criminal history record, our Department is prohibited from disclosing the existence of the record per Florida State Statute 943.059 or 943.0585. However there are exceptions allowing disclosure of information relating to the existence of a sealed or expunged criminal history to specified entities.
Can you tell me what records are exempt from disclosure?
This is a complicated and ever changing area of the law. Florida State Statute 119.07 provides for several exemptions. Some of general categories of exemptions include:
- Investigative information on open criminal investigations.
- Criminal intelligence.
- Any information including photographs, name, address, or other facts or information which reveal the identity of the victim of the crimes of sexual battery, lewd, lascivious, or indecent assault upon or in the presence of a child, child abuse, or any sexual offense.
- Juvenile crime victim information.
For additional exemptions, you may refer to Florida State Statute Chapter 119.07.